Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Sigh, nostalgia

I was recently talking ( just kidding texting...I despise talking on the phone) to one of my best friends who recently had a ridiculously cute baby girl. As we were talking about the new bundle of joy, labor and being welcomed into mommyhood I became insanely nostalgic. There is really nothing that can compare to meeting your baby for the very first time. Looking into their eyes, smelling that amazing new baby smell (I would totally buy a car freshener of that smell, is that weird?) And rubbing your chin on their incredibly soft head of hair or in Zoey's case lack of. So feeling all nostalgic I figured I would compile some of the things I learned when being welcomed into mommyhood:

1. Finding true love

There is no love like a mother's love for her child. Be it her first or 21st ( That crazy baby birthing machine is trying for numero 21, right?) The love you have for someone you have only just met is consuming. I remember thinking, yep I could kill anyone who tried to hurt this child. Mama Bear power go! She was the true love of my life, someone I had created and someone who I will always love.

2. You will always be scared

Not like boo, AHH! scared. But anything involving a child is now so close to home scared. I realized this when I was watching some random animal planet tv show of a anaconda eating an alligator. Wait, I am laughing just writing this because that is a true story. I was totally watching something that weird. Anyways, I was so freaked out after because I was thinking of what I would do if I ever encountered one of these mammoth snakes? And what if the girls were with me?! Because that could totally happen. A bear once visited Cape Cod, so what's stopping a anaconda?! Crazy I tell yah, crazy.

3. You will lose touch with some people

After I had Cassidy I suddenly felt like my life was complete. I didn't need the things I once needed. Like 900+ Facebook friends. I mean seriously, did I know all of those people? No way! Half of them I couldn't even tell you HOW I even kind of knew them. So I got the big eraser, metaphorically speaking that is, and erased my friend list to half of what it was. I kept people I was still interesting in staying in contact with because I didn't want just anyone to know that Cassidy had her first poop in the big girl toilet, I mean that is some serious sentimental shit right there. The other thing I realized is that some people in my life were just plain bad influences, and it wasn't just me anymore. I had someone who was going to be looking up to me for advice and right vs wrong, so those wrong people in my life got da boot.

4. I never was really as exhausted like I claimed to be.

There is NO tired like new mommy tired. Now sometimes this can last only a few short weeks or months like with Cassidy. She was a great baby, sleeping through the night by a month old, I am talking 8 plus hours here people. Or it can last what seems forever. Zoey is on month 18 of her life and still this child is a terrible sleeper. I think she has slept completely through the night three times in her life, and all three I was not home....touché Zoey, touché.

But most importantly, the thing that I learned the most and what got me through some of the hardest times is recognizing how kick ass I actually am! I mean I created two people inside me, had not only one but two labors (what was I thinking....) And have kept both of my girls safe and happy (most of the time).

So, kuddos to all mommys out there, be it your 1st, 2nd or 21st you are all kick ass!! What is something you treasured learning when becoming a mommy?

No comments:

Post a Comment