Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Mama Bear Nicholson


I always was a...hm, how to put this...confrontational person. Growing up I learned quick that only you can defend yourself. I have never had a problem speaking up for myself, or defending myself and my loved ones. In college I swear my friends would start a fight knowing full well that I was there as the "enforcer". Molls remember that time that incredibly obnoxious freshman girl who had bravado bigger than her booty? Needless to say, that freshman did not bother us anymore... Now I am not here to promote fighting, I think fighting should be the last resort to all conflicts. However my mother did always say "if you are going to hit someone, make sure you hit them hard enough that it will be the last", and that is something I always did follow. See Ma, I do listen to you! I have to say looking back now, I wish I had handled myself better...but hey what is College for right?

Now that I am a mom, that urge to defend my loved ones is even stronger. Ever hear of Mama Bear syndrome? It is real I swear. I always said if my kids have a problem with a "bully" or "mean girl" I will have no problem defending them, by calmly addressing those little shits, I mean kids, parents. I have to say I have been lucky with the lack of bullying so far. Granted Zoey is in daycare and who are we kidding, she probably is the bully of her daycare stealing all the kids snacks and laughing while running away (mental note, work on that). As for Cassidy, she is in pre-school and you would think there wouldn't be any bullies. I mean how hard is life for a five year old, right?! 

Well something happened at a kids birthday party I was at a while ago. I had a mom say to me "oh YOU'RE Cassidy's mom." Whoa lady, who are you and why are you putting emphasis on me being my kid's mom? She then explained how her son and Cassidy do not get along. How her son talks about the fights they always get in. First off, this was the first time I had ever seen this woman, let alone had a conversation with her. And right off the bat she is talking about how her kid has a problem with mine? How about this, look at your kid over there that has another little girl in a headlock body slamming her on the bounce house. Should we address that first? I just stood there listening to her complain how my kid and her kid have issues, not ever once acknowledging her kid has a part in this "issue" just as much as mine. 

It took every ounce inside of me not to say something about her son. As much as I wanted to say how sucktastic of a kid he is towards Cassidy, I decided to just nod my head, smile and walk away. I was super proud of myself, my first "conflict" with another kid's parent and I did not flip my shiat. 

Instead I walked away, found the little punks candy bag and ate TWO whole pieces. So HA!












No comments:

Post a Comment